Herbert Irving Pavilion
161 Fort Washington Avenue, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10032-3784
- Colorectal Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer
- Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
James Church, MD is a colorectal surgeon who cares for all aspects of colorectal disease, with a particular focus on hereditary colorectal cancers and polyposis. Born and raised in New Zealand, Dr. Church did his medical school, postgraduate research and general surgical training in Auckland before training in colorectal surgery at the Cleveland Clinic and eventually joining the faculty there. Over the 34 years that followed, he played an instrumental role in developing what was widely considered the finest Department of Colorectal Surgery in the world.
Dr. Church has been co-Investigator of the Collaborative Colorectal Cancer Family Registry, funded by a research grant from the National Cancer Institute. In addition, he has served as the Chairman of the Leeds Castle Polyposis Group and the International Collaborative Group on Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer and President of the Collaborative Group of the Americas on Inherited Colorectal Cancer. These international societies are dedicated to the care of patients with inherited colorectal cancer and research into their disease.
Dr. Church’s other areas of interests include colonoscopy, functional colorectal and anal problems including constipation and incontinence, perianal and perineal infections and inflammatory bowel disease. As head of the Section of Endoscopy at Cleveland Clinic, he helped develop several advances in the art of colonoscopy for the benefit of patients. He is also deeply commitment to education and is currently a Fellow of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, Costa Rican Society of Surgery, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, American College of Gastroenterology, American Surgical Association and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow.
- 1984 – 1986: Clinical Associate, Department of Colorectal Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 1983 – 1984: Special Fellow, Department of Colorectal Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 1980 – 1981: Senior Registrar, Greenlane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1976 – 1980: Surgical Registrar Northern Regional Training Scheme:
Auckland Hospital Board, Greenlane and Auckland Hospitals, Auckland, New Zealand
Northland Hospital Board, Northland Base Hospital, Whangarei, New Zealand
Selected Awards & Honors
- 1999 – 2020: Top Doctors in America
- 2007 – 2020: Top Surgeons in America
- 2008 – 2020: Patients’ Choice Award,
- 2011 – 2020: America’s Top Doctors for Cancer
- 2013 – 2020: Compassionate Doctors Award
- 2004: Lifetime Achievement Award, Collaborative Group of the Americas, For Inherited Colorectal Cancer