The Center for Weight loss Surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia is a leader in the field of revisional bariatric surgery.
Surgeons at the Center are among of the most experienced in the region, having performed revisional procedures for more than 18 years. They are pioneers in the revision obesity surgery field, having created multiple new procedures.
Revision surgery is an option for patients who have already undergone a procedure and may need another one to repair the first one or for patients who have gained weight or not lost sufficient weight.
Here are some guidelines to help you decide if you need to see a doctor for another weight loss surgery. You may be a candidate for revision surgery if:
- You have not lost 50 percent of the excess weight you were carrying at the time of the first procedure.
- You regain enough weight that medical problems related to your excess weight, such as diabetes, return.
- You regain weight to a point where you no longer have lost 50 percent of your original excess weight.
- Your BMI is 40 or above.
Revisional surgery can also help weight loss surgery patients who develop complications like chronic ulcers.
Scheduling a Revision Obesity Surgery Evaluation at the Center
Call the Center at 212.305.4000 to schedule an appointment for you to meet with a surgeon for an evaluation. Initial evaluation includes an endoscopy, insertion of a thin, flexible tube through the mouth and through the esophagus, to examine your stomach and intestines. Following your evaluation, you will be asked to undergo an educational process, which includes meeting with a registered dietitian, prior to surgery.
We will request that you bring a copy of your upper GI X-ray and a copy of the operative report from your original surgery to your appointment.
For a patient to qualify for reimbursement, insurance companies currently require:
- Presence of a medical complication of the initial surgery
- BMI over 35 with a complicating health condition, notwithstanding the 50% excess weight loss
- BMI over 40, notwithstanding the 50% excess weight loss
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Laporoscopic Gastric Banding
- Revisional Surgery
- Duodenal Switch
- Endoscopic Procedures
- Gastric Balloons
- Metabolic Analysis
Stories & Perspectives
Ready for a change? To get started with our program, call (212) 305-4000 or request an appointment online today.