Celebrating New York’s Top Doctors in 2020
Each year, patients in the New York metro area and around the world look to the June issue of New York Magazine to find top-quality care in the Castle Connolly Top Doctor Directory. Each year, physicians in the Department of Surgery top the regional list across a wide variety of surgical specialties, exemplifying the best of New York’s medical practitioners.
In 2020, more than 30 physicians made the Top Doctors list from Castle Connolly from the Department of Surgery; several also made the ‘Best of New York’ regional list (noted with an *)
- Michael Argenziano, MD | Cardiac Surgery
- Tracy Arnell, MD | General Surgery*
- Jeffrey Ascherman, MD | Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery*
- Emil Bacha, MD | Pediatric Cardiac Surgery*
- Danielle Bajakian, MD | Vascular Surgery*
- Marc Bessler, MD | Bariatric Surgery*
- John A. Chabot, MD | Pancreatic Surgery*
- Lorna Dove, MD | Liver Surgery*
- Frank D'Ovidio, MD | Thoracic Surgery*
- Michael I. Ebright, MD | Thoracic Surgery
- Jean C. Emond, MD | Liver Surgery*
- Alyson Nicole Fox, MD | Liver Surgery*
- Mark E. Ginsburg, MD | Thoracic Surgery*
- Zachary L. Gleit, MD | General Surgery
- Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD | Thoracic Surgery*
- Robert T. Grant, MD | Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Tomoaki Kato, MD | Liver Surgery*
- P. Ravi Kiran, MD | Colorectal Surgery*
- Michael D. Kluger, MD | Pancreatic Surgery
- James A. Lee, MD | Endocrine Surgery*
- Steven Lee-Kong, MD | Colorectal Surgery
- Nicholas Morrissey, MD | Vascular Surgery*
- Yoshifumi Naka, MD, PhD | Cardiac Surgery*
- Yuri Novitsky, MD | Hernia Surgery*
- Lloyd E. Ratner, MD | Kidney Surgery
- Christine Hsu Rohde, MD | Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery*
- Beth Schrope, MD | Pancreatic Surgery*
- Miguel R. Silva, MD | General Surgery*
- Craig R. Smith, MD | Cardiac Surgery*
- Joshua R. Sonett, MD | Thoracic Surgery*
- Steven Stylianos, MD | Pediatric Surgery*
- Bret Taback, MD | Melanoma Surgery
- Hiroo Takayama, MD, PhD | Cardiac Surgery*
- Lisa S. Wiechmann, MD | Breast Surgery
What is a Castle Connolly Top Doctor?
Each physician who is listed in the national and regional Castle Connolly Top Doctor directory has been selected by their medical peers for outstanding quality of care. Every year, Castle Connolly surveys tens of thousands of practicing physicians across the country to ensure their nomination list always reflects the latest in quality care. After a doctor is nominated, our physician-led research team begins their work to screen each doctor and confirm whether they meet the directory’s high standards. Professional qualifications, education, hospital and faculty appointments, research leadership, professional reputation, and disciplinary history are among the criteria for the selection process. The nomination team considers not only the training and clinical skills of the physicians they nominate, but also interpersonal skills such as listening and communicating effectively, demonstrating empathy, and instilling trust and confidence.
Why Should You Consider a Castle Connolly Top Doctor?
Castle Connolly has over 25 years of experience in researching, reviewing, and selecting the best doctors in each region. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Research, Castle Connolly’s peer-reviewed directory was much more reliable than review sites when it comes to identifying quality care.
Virtual Care 24/7
Did you know that you can see many of the doctors at Columbia, including this year’s Top Doctors, through our virtual visit program? Check to see if you’re able to have your first consult via video and skip the trip into the office!